Do you have a book, program, product, or service that would make a great Information Product?
We work with authors, coaches, trainers, and knowledge area experts to create and market information products for online delivery. The product itself is presented with multimedia elements and tools to help the subscriber be successful. Other labels for ‘information product’ include ‘course’, ‘product’, and ‘training system’.
We use sophisticated marketing campaigns and an affiliate marketing system to ensure that as many people benefit from the information in the program as possible.
Marketing of the Information Product could lead to speaking engagements and workshops for the content creator, which in turn can create sales of the Information Product.
We can also facilitate webinars for part of the course delivery or free webinars as part of the marketing strategy.
The first step is to discuss your content offering and how it could be made into an information product or training course and the size of the potential market.
Assuming that we are a good fit for product and doing business together, where is what a typical arrangement would look like .
What we do is license your intellectual property to provide a basis for the Information Product and use in marketing the Information product.
You retain the copyright for your original content.
Ideally we work with you to organize and develop the online product. Like a movie made from a book, there will be editing, restructuring, and additional assets created.
We ideally work with you to create the online product and marketing materials using images, copy, video, and audio. If you have workbooks and exercises related to what your teach, we will build those into the system for access in the membership area for each client.
Sample Information Product
Say you have a book on writing and teach a course on writing. Here is what your information product may look like:
- Introduce yourself
- Describe what to expect in the program
- Provide tips for making the most of the program
- Module 1
- Video, audio, text delivery of the parts included in the module.
- Access to worksheets and additional tools for the member to use.
- Modules (5 to 7 recommended)
- Next steps. Maybe there is an advanced course or personal coaching offered?
The subscriber will have access to a membership area that provides access to what they signed up for.
Note: It is possible to provide free access to the Introduction and Module 1 and offer paid access to the rest of the program and premium features. People can try before they buy, which is often a good marketing strategy.
We develop marketing campaigns to promote your product. Here are areas where you can help make the launch a success:
- We create introductory videos with you explaining why you created the product and the transformations the client can expect from using the product.
- Ask you to contact your best customer list to ask for testimonials and to join your mailing list.
- Ask you to send information to them about the launch and ask them to opt in to a mailing list.
We can provide copy that you can tweak.
We will offer them the ability to become an affiliate for your product. We hope that they would refer people to your product because they love you and your work, though the promise of some referral income could inspire more action.
- We design landing pages, email campaigns, social media campaigns, and more to generate interest in the information product.
- We may run webinars to introduce the information product, answer questions, and generate leads and interest.
We will set up an affiliate program where your supporters can earn commissions from promoting your product. They will receive an affiliate link that they can use in their promotions. They will then be paid commissions on a regular basis based on sales. We are currently thinking a 20% commission.
You could become an affiliate of your own product and earn commissions in addition to your share of the revenue. Awesome!
People such as Jeff Walker, Brendon Burchard, Marie Forleo, and Eben Pagan sell millions of dollars worth of information products and services.
So it can be done.
Can that be done for your product? That depends.
Have you sold many copies of the base book?
Have lots of testimonials?
Have a decent list of contacts on email and on social media?
Then you have a base that could translate to decent or potentially amazing sales.
Starting from near zero? Then it will take a lot of work to get decent sales.
Say you have a product that you offer for $200. If you can sell 100, the gross revenue is $20,000, If you sell 100 a month, then you are looking at $240,000 a year.
However, experience suggests not to take even the first sale for granted.
What do you think the market is for your product?
Our criteria for starting development on an information product is that it has the potential to reach at least the $20,000 sales mark. We want to have some reasonable expectation that the sales potential is there.
We expect to invest about $10,000 of time and tools into development and marketing, so the product needs to justify the project.
For products with excellent sales potential, we are working on the following revenue sharing model:
- 40% to the original course creator for licensing and cooperating with the development and launch.
- 20% to affiliates who promote sales of the product. Some of you may want to earn money from sales PLUS affiliate revenue.
- 40% to Light Up Your Biz for building, hosting, and marketing the product.
In most cases we will ask for a $1,000 retainer to get the process started, pay for advertising such as Facebook ads, and have everyone invested in the success of the product.
Other arrangements are open for discussion.
Let’s talk about building and launching your information product.
Contact Us Today
See also Anatomy of an Information Product Promotion.